Tuesday, April 5, 2011

IN THE RAW - Raising our Nutritional Vibration

Those who know me well know I am a lover of quality food.  I am particularly in love with Raw Foods.. Salads, Desserts, Smoothies, Pizza....  YUM!  You can literally feel the food nourishing every inch of you when you eat these foods.  They are always packed full of nutrients and prepared with a hearty dose of love and peaceful intention.




The kids and I will be heading on up to a fresh new "Raw" cafe this weekend.  I can hardly contain myself!!  We are meeting some unschooly friends up there for lunch and I am beside myself with anticipation, imagining what delicacies will be on offer.  The kids will most likely opt for smoothies, desserts, that sort of thing, but I am hoping to try a few things that I have not yet prepared here at home. 

Having packed my old van full of "stuff" and transported it over from Qld, I have recently reunited with my dehydrator.  I was disappointed in leaving it behind as I was just starting to experiment with a few different recipes.  I am so keen to get back into the swing of using it again.  I particularly want to perfect making wraps for salad rolls.. that sort of thing.


Raw Mango "Cheese" Cake





I have to admit.. I am very partial to Raw Desserts.  Perhaps because they are soooo easy to prepare and taste exquisite.  Every one loves them.  They usually consist of a nut and date base with a blended nut and frozen fruit topping.  The wonderful thing about Raw Desserts is that they are actually very good for you.  High in protein and fats (the good fats) and packed with various minerals and vitamins.  We certainly don't limit their intake to after dinner only!!  

Some people are concerned about Fat intake and will often avoid the healthy fats like Avocadoes, Nuts etc. The thing is, our body is designed to eat these beneficial foods and without going into a full blown nutrition debate.. I would like to mention that some life giving minerals, such as Calcium, are very much dependent on our intake of Fats in order to be absorbed by the body.  So, if you are a dairy milk drinker, forget about Skim and Light types, it is essential to only drink pure, raw "Whole" milk.  If available to you, and to be kinder to your body and the Earth, milk harvested from a biodynamic organic farm is especially the way to go. <3




My progression to Raw Foods has been a slow one and I am by know means 100% "Raw".  I would have to say that our family diet is probably closer to the 80/20 mark.. 20 being cooked wholefoods and the occasional take out.  Being the head chef in the kitchen for the past 14 years has been challenging at times to fulfill the needs of everyone in the family.  What is right for me has proven to not be right for others.

I take great pride in preparing nourishing meals for my husband and children and have learned that for everyone to feel happy and satisfied, there needs to be balance and consideration on my part for their personal likes and dislikes.  The decision to be vegetarian, vegan, raw, in my opinion, is a very personal one and I certainly wouldn't like anyone forcing me to eat something I felt was not good for me.


Cherry Toms


My own diet has changed and evolved over the years and this has effected the kinds of foods my children are in to.  It seems they all like lollypops and ice cream though!!

I'm really looking forward to this weekend.  Catching up with some beautiful people and nourishing my body with some awesome, high vibin food!


See you soon guys!
Peace...

Angel x

2 comments:

  1. So spot on about being aware that family members can't always follow us on our journey to the nutritional frequency WE are going for. :) I'd say that I am at around the 80/20 mark too...and some weeks so are all of us...but most of the time there is standard 'cooking' going on as well.

    I feel that now I am coming into a choice phase where I just cook what the family want and eat my own raw meal, or accept and be thankful for what's been cooked for me and then eat what I want for the rest of the day/week :)
    Nice n non-confrontational that way ;)

    The side effects of eating one or two cooked meals a week is becoming a little obvious though...sluggish, crampy body from cooked food vs happy, light and vibrant body from raw food...ummm, yeah...know which one I'd rather enjoy more of ;)

    Love this blog Angel!! enjoy your trip to the raw food cafe. xxx Nette

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely cant wait to see you. <3

    ReplyDelete