Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Basic Everyday Gluten Free Bread

I'd like to eat less bread and I guess lately I do, but most days my family still enjoys home baked bread.

It has been a bit hit and miss for me with gluten free bread making and I am happy that I have finally found a recipe that never fails.  It may not be the most nutritious or fanciest around but it works and saves me dollars when the gluten free breads at the supermarket and health food shops tend to be a bit on the high side.  Not to mention the non-organic ones still contain synthetic preservatives.

Having said that I still keep an organic gf bread in the freezer for lazy, busy or cloudy days.

Here is the finished bread...

Resting nicely beside the cookies

Here is the recipe...

* 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
* 1 1/4 cup warm water

* 1 cup organic brown rice flour
* 1 cup organic millet flour
* 1 cup tapioca starch
* 2 tsp xanthan gum
* 1 1/4 tsp celtic/himalayan salt

* 3 tbl extra virgin olive oil
* 1 tbl raw honey
* 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
* 2 eggs


1. Add yeast to water and blend well.
2. Combine dry ingredients and add to yeast and water.
3. Add wet ingredients and mix well.

(Dough will be more like a spongey cake mixture)

Ready for the oven


4. Let rest for 1/2 hour.
5. Grease and line loaf tin.
6. Pour in mixture.  Cover with a tea towel and sit in a warm, sunny place for at least another 1/2 hour or until dough doubles in size.
7. Bake in oven at 200 C for 40 mins.
8. Remove from tin and let sit for about 10 mins before cutting.

NB: I warm my yeast and water mixture in my thermomix and then add all other ingredients.  Blend on medium for about 20 seconds and then set the machine to 3 mins on interval setting.


Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've done well.. My first attempt at gluten free home baked bread was less than successful as I'd used a tin too large and it was quite stout lets just say... It's really hard to find a nice tasting gluten free bread, as lets face it - gluten free bread - does not taste like bread, and the texture can be really difficult to come to grips with - especially for kids. I bought a bread maker tried again, and another flop - I have been against my better judgement buying Country Life GF Multigrain since - Ahrielle likes the taste - and so do I, but I still have issues with the preservatives. Another tip for gluten free bread - it often tastes better for sandwiches - toasted... then cooled ... This is how I do Ahrielle's now and it totally gives a different texture - less cakey.. A clever little gluten free birdy gave me this tip.. You've encouraged me to give bread baking another go. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good tip, toasting then cooling.

    I think the millet flour in this recipe really helps to maintain a bread like texture and flavour. And if memory serves, it's quite high in protein too! The dough looks and feels cakey, but once baked it is like an everyday loaf. Give this recipe a go and let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete